|Merrell Barracks which would eventually become headquarters for the U.S. Army's 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment as a Nazi Schutzstaffel (SS) barracks at the defeat of Germany in May 1945|
|American troops patrolling the Inner German Border zone|
The 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment nicknamed 'Black Horse' for the distinctive black horse worn on their unit patch was headquartered at Downs Barracks near Fulda, West Germany and was tasked with monitoring East Germany's movements along the Fulda Gap of the Inner German Border. Originally designated as the 11th Constabulary Regiment in 1946, for performing occupation duties, it would be redesignated as the 11ACR in1951. The 11th ACR's motto is 'Allons' (Let's Go)
The 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment nicknamed 'The 2nd Dragoons' was the longest continuously serving regiment in the Army. The unit was originally designated the 2nd Constabulary Regiment at the close of the Second World War and redesigned as the 2ACR in 1948. It would be based out of Merrell Barracks near Nuremberg, West Germany and was specifically tasked with monitoring East Germany and neighboring Czechoslovakia. The motto of the 2nd ACR 'Toujours Pret!' (Always Ready) signifying their willingness and constant state of readiness to engage enemy forces in combat.
|A United States Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter 'shadowing' a Soviet Mi-24 Hind helicopter along the German border|
On the right of the uniform over the uniform breast pocket was embroidered the name of the soldier on a name tape sewn to the uniform.
On the left of the uniform over the uniform breast pocket was embroidered the branch of service in this example U.S. Army on a tape also worn in succession over the branch tape would be specialized qualification badges awarded to the wearer.
With the collapse of the Iron Curtain, reunification of Germany and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the mission of Army forces in Germany changed overnight. The 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment would remain in Germany through 1992 when it's facilities were closed and it was downsized significantly redesignated as a 'Light' unit and reassigned to Fort Polk near Leesville, Louisiana in the United States.
The 11th Armored Cavalry would be deactivated in March of 1994 and reactivated again in October 1994 as the U.S. Army's Opposing Force (OPFOR) unit at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin near Barstow, California.